Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday Music

Somehow this past week has gotten away from me and it's already time again for my weekly lyrics post.  I'm glad that I came up with the "Monday Music" feature (despite its super boring title) because it keeps me coming back at least somewhat regularly to blog.  (Maybe I should think of another weekly feature?)  So, without further ado, I present to you (all my thousands of loyal readers, ha... ha...) the third "Monday Music" song selection: "Strip Me," by Natasha Bedingfield.

No, not as naughty as it sounds.  It's really about one person's ability to have seemingly everything taken away from her and still be able to express herself to make a difference.  I think it also speaks to the virtues of living simply (something I'm making more of an effort to do these days) -- how we can get rid of so much extraneous stuff our lives and still be OK, because what really matters (our thoughts, our feelings, our souls, our voices, etc.) are still intact.  I heard this song in the movie Morning Glory (decent movie, adorable Rachel McAdams) and liked the melody right away, so, as is often the case, I did a little Googling to find the lyrics.  Natasha Bedingfield seems to gravitate toward writing happy, inspirational songs (think: "Unwritten" and "Pocketful of Sunshine") and "Strip Me" is no exception.  It'll leave you feeling empowered and energized.  Take a look at some of the lyrics:

Every day I fight for all my future somethings
A thousand little wars I have to choose between
I could spend a lifetime earning things that I don't need
But that's like chasing rainbows and coming home empty

And if you strip me, strip it all away
If you strip me, what would you find
If you strip me, strip it all away
I'll be alright

Take what you want, steal my pride
Build me up or cut me down to size
Shut me out but I'll just scream
I'm only one voice in a million
But you ain't taking that from me
 


I don't need a microphone
To say what I've been thinking
My heart is like a loudspeaker
That's always on eleven


'Cause when it all boils down at the end of the day
It's what you do and say that makes you who you are

Makes you think about it,
doesn't it
Sometimes all it takes is one voice


(Just realizing now that all of the artists I've featured so far have been British!  Even the coach on my workout podcasts!  Weird, and completely unintentional.  Thinking of some real, good ol', down home country American music I can use next week...)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment