Saturday, April 16, 2011

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going

Cliché post title, I know, but when you really stop to think about it... Isn't it true?  There's a reason certain expressions become trite and overused and stand the test of time: Because usually, they're right.

Anyway, as you may have surmised from the title, things have been kind of tough for me lately.  I always feel a little guilty for complaining about my life at all, because I am acutely aware that compared to many, many, many people, I've got it made.  I remind myself of this whenever I find that I'm stuck in self-pitying tunnel vision and need a good, swift kick of reality to the butt.

That being said, I don't think that being relatively lucky in life means that I'm obligated to minimize any and all feelings of sadness or anxiety I ever have about the way things are going.  Even the luckiest of us don't wake up to rainbows and butterflies every morning.  I won't go into great detail, but there are a few areas of my life that have been causing me quite a bit of distress lately.  And although I may sometimes feel like I'm floundering, I'm determined to keep my head above water.  Which brings me to the piece about how "the tough get going."  I'm getting going, literally.  By starting The Couch to 5K Plan!

That's right, Wemmy here is exercising for the first time in a looong time.  Every fiber of my being rejects the idea of working out these days, but I'm forcing myself to do it because - shocker! - I feel so accomplished and alive and generally happier once I'm done.  I found these great, free podcasts on iTunes that make the workouts feel a lot easier.  The "coach" has a cute British accent and the songs they play during the intervals are fun and upbeat.  I'm definitely a fan.  And more importantly, I really am proud of myself for "getting going" in the face of a tough situation, when it would be all too easy to retreat and wallow in sadness.  I've found that the absolute best antidote to depression is simply doing something It can feel unimaginably hard to take that first step, but you just gotta do it, one step at a time.

Requisite motivational running picture

No comments:

Post a Comment