Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Monday (Er, Tuesday) Music

Sorry for the delay in posting... I know all of my loyal fans out there have been anxiously anticipating this week's edition of feel-good music.  Ha!  On a serious note, though, I gotta say... My blog's lack of readership really doesn't bother me at this point, because I know that that's something I have to cultivate... And I haven't quite had the courage yet to advertise my musings.  I'm still kind of testing the blogosphere waters, so to speak.  Putting myself out there slowly but surely.  Part of why I started this blog is because I passionately believe that those of us who struggle with mental health issues shouldn't feel ashamed.  I was hell-bent for years on hiding my issues with depression.  Simply starting this blog, displaying my picture, and allowing it to be accessible to anyone who stumbles upon it has been a pretty big step for me.  Actively letting people know about it?  That can come later.

Anyway... On to the purpose of today's post: happy music!  If you check out my first three "Monday Music" posts, you'll notice that the artists I featured all happened to be British (which was totally unintentional on my part).  Now it seems that I'm stuck in a country music phase.  Last week was Keith Urban, week before that was Martina McBride, and this week I want to spotlight a pretty little song by Kenny Chesney: "I'm Alive."  (At least it features Dave Matthews, right?)

This song is so soothing it's almost like a lullaby, and the lyrics are a poignant reminder to be grateful.  If you're reading this blog, chances are you're incredibly lucky compared to the millions of nameless, faceless people we all know exist in this world without food, clean water, adequate clothing and shelter, access to health care, a safe/stable living environment... I could go on.  When I'm distraught over something that seems like a very real problem to me at the time (awful traffic, broken cell phone, five-pound weight gain) I try to remember to put it into perspective.  I couldn't say it better than Mr. Chesney: "Today, you know, that's good enough for me... Breathing in and out's a blessing can't you see... Today's the first day of the rest of my life... I'm alive and well."  The rest of the lyrics are just as lovely and insightful:

So damn easy to say that life’s so hard
Everybody’s got their share of battle scars
As for me I’d like to thank my lucky stars that
I’m alive and well

It'd be easy to add up all the pain
And all the dreams you sat and watched go up in flames
Dwell on the wreckage as it smolders in the rain
But not me, I’m alive

Stars are dancin’ on the water here tonight
It’s good for the soul when there’s not a soul in sight
This boat has caught its wind and brought me back to life
Now I’m alive and well


No comments:

Post a Comment